NO IMPACT: A CME that might have sideswiped Earth's magnetic field on Sept. 23rd did not. It missed. As a result, geomagnetic activity is low as northern fall begins. The next chance for auroras is Sept. 25-26 when a high-speed stream of solar wind arrives. Aurora alerts: text or voice
SUPERMOON ECLIPSE: This weekend's full Moon is a supermoon, the biggest and brightest full Moon of the year. And it is going to be eclipsed. On Sunday evening, Sept. 27th, the supermoon will pass through the shadow of Earth, turning the lunar disk a coppery shade of red. Click on the image, below, to view an animation of the eclipse and to find out when to look:
What makes the eclipsed Moon turn red? A quick trip to the Moon provides the answer: Imagine yourself standing on a dusty lunar plain looking up at the sky. Overhead hangs Earth, nightside down, completely hiding the sun behind it. The eclipse is underway.
You might expect Earth seen in this way to be utterly dark, but it's not. The rim of the planet looks like it is on fire. As you scan your eye around Earth's circumference, you're seeing every sunrise and every sunset in the world, all of them, all at once. This incredible light beams into the heart of Earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the Moon into a great red orb.
Red isn't the only color. There's also turquoise, shown here in a photo taken by Jens Hackman during an eclipse in March of 2007:
To catch the turquoise on Sept. 27-28, he advises, "look during the first and last minutes of totality. The turquoise rim is best seen in binoculars or a small telescope."
Thursday's Top Headlines from around the Web
- Pope expresses closeness to world's Muslims after haj stampede:HE UNITES HIMSELF IN PRAYER TO ALLAH! YET NOT A WORD ABOUT CHRISTIANS BEING NAMED AND OR SLAUGHTERED WORLD WIDE-
- THE POPE IS BETRAYING CHRISTIANITY And selling out the principles of freedom
- DHS is creating a nationwide boat tracking system:'The NAIS program exceeds the stated purpose of marine safety and constitutes an ongoing risk to the privacy and civil liberties of mariners across the United States.'
- Stonehenge-style rocks spotted on MARS: Bizarre circular stone formation on the red planet resembles the iconic Pagan site
- How Gestapo thugs waltzed into plum jobs after the war: Their horrors are well chronicled, but new book reveals a deeply shocking twist
- Richard Russell – WARNING: The Retail Public Is About To Become Frightened And Panic Will Take Hold
- WHEN BLOOD FLOWS FROM THE STREETS INTO THE SANCTUARIES :Join Steve Quayle and Pastor Lankford tonight on the Hagmann & Hagmann Report from 7:00-10:00 PM ET.
- Will The Extermination Of Christians Get Worse Before It Gets Better? New Book From Senior Pentagon Analyst Offers Hopeful And Critical Vision
- America Unprepared For “Inevitable” Devastating “Black Swan” Attack—Government Plans To Abandon Public, You’ll Be On Your Own
- George Will: Petrus Romanus Is The False Prophet That Would Lead The World To Ruin
- Are The Silver And Gold Markets Setting Up To Crush The Shorts?
- Francis takes Congress to task on immigration, abortion, gay marriage and the Syrian refugee crisis as he insists on 'Golden Rule' approach to politics in first-ever Capitol Hill address by a sitting pontiff
- Los Angeles Declares Out-of-Control Homelessness an ‘Emergency’
- OBAMA’S GENOCIDAL TREASON Obama’s final legacy may be the death of millions of Americans.
- New Invasive Fly Shuts Down $700 Million Florida Fruit Industry: 'DAY BY DAY AMERICAS FOOD AVAILABILITY IS GOING AWAY'-DROUGHT =FAMINE =DIESAE =MASS HUMAN DIE-OFFS
- Vaccines shown to spur growth of deadlier viral strains: study
- Alex Jones breaks down how the Pope's 'climate plan' could lead to the death of over a billion people worldwide.
- 8 KILLED IN CHICAGO WEEKEND VIOLENCE; EMANUEL TO INCREASE POLICE PATROLS
- THIS IS THE TROJAN TAKE DOWN OF AMERICA :Immigration, other than through the normal process, is illegal, unconstitutional and morally and ethically wrong.
- Endgame: Putin Plans To Strike ISIS With Or Without The U.S.
- WARNING: Millions of super-quick Giant House Spiders on rampage across Britain MILLIONS of the biggest spiders ever recorded in Britain are on the rampage - and invading houses across the country, experts warned tonight.
- Silent Killer: Germany Showcases 4-Barrel Laser Gatling Gun
- SODA NATION: Half of America now has type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes
- Jade Helm Will End When World War III Begins